Wednesday, October 24, 2012

For What It's Worth



For What It's Worth is a good book by Karey White about a woman named Abby and the triumphs and disappointments she goes through in opening a wedding cake bakery while also dealing with falling in love with Dane and making enough time for him as well as the bakery. When business booms she has trouble making time for Dane and this strains their relationship to the point that they take a "breather". When Abby has to go make a cake for a celebrity and has no help, Dane appears and helps her in her time of need and they appear to have worked things out. In the end everyone is happy and Abby has learned how to balance business and life.

I was able to relate to Abby being that I have a business of my own as well. When Abby gets overwhelmed and is basically running around like a chicken with her head cut off, I wondered why it took her so long to realize she needed help. Obviously you will need help when you plan on doing all the baking for your business, that was something she should of started out with to begin with, hiring a receptionist to schedule appointments is a must in any successful business. The more you try to do yourself the more miserable you will be. You have to be able and willing to delegate to a certain degree. I love how Abby comes up with the plan of only doing the three cakes a week and for her employees doing their own cakes and deciding how many they want to do as well. When she learned how to balance life and business I cheered for her silently in my head. 

My favorite part of the book is when Dane comes to help Abby in California, I love how even though they hadn't been together really for months he goes out of his way to help her when she is in need. Even though she didn't even ask him to come help. If that doesn't show love I don't know what does.


All in all this was a great read, I can only hope to read more from this author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment